Twitter

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Wk7 - Social Networking

Facebook - I was probably one of the last people on planet Earth to create and run a Facebook account.  It's something that has never really appealled to me and I could never understand all the hype!  And so with much intrepidation, I took the plunge!!  Easy to open (another username and password to remember!!) and set up..  I decided to open it under a pseudonym to start and then if I think I will get some use out of it, I can change the name under my profile later.  I sent out a couple of requests for friends (sounds so sad!) and got a few quick responses.  I can see why this social networking site has become the world's favourite.  The instant messages are amazing and I sat and had a conversation with an old colleague in the UK.  My mum goes into hospital next Thu to have a hip replacement.  She's going to be housebound for a few weeks and so I decided to set up Wordscraper (like Scrabble - a big family favourite).  When she's home, we will be able to play games daily even though she's in Kent, UK and I'm 14,500kms away in Mandurah,Australia .....amazing...... and she's over the moon that we'll be in constant contact and can help ease her boredom.  It is probably the best of the bunch for the library too - getting messages out quickly, advertising events, school activities, promoting our services, and the good thing is that the majority of people know how to use it.
Twitter - Can't make my mind up about Twitter yet.  It was easy enough to open an account and start using immediately, but I can't help but think it's like having a digital-diary!!  It seems that all and sundry seem to use one!  I even saw that Kevin Rudd has one up and running!  Again it seems to be a quick and easy way of passing messages and information on..... 
  

4 comments:

  1. I guess you like a good cuppa? I must be much braver than you, using my own name or a bit daft! I'm really not sure about this Facebook thing at all. Once I had signed up I looked up a few names from the past, but started to feel a bit like a creepy stalker and was worried that they would know I had been looking at their page! Is this possible?. I can't believe some of the information people put out there for all to see. Anway this Twit is about to suss out Twitter - can't wait......!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it on good authority that people are no advised on their Facebook a/c that you've had a snoop!! However, if you ever decide to open an MSN a/c - beware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying Fb ... It's almost like a daily chore for me. I check my Fb page at least twice a day.

    I'm leaning towards the positives for Twitter (I'm following Britney Spears)...But after a week of not checking my Twitter account, it seems like an overkill of posts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ýeah, I'm following KRudd and he's following me (on Twitter) - How awesome is that!

    ReplyDelete