Twitter

Saturday 16 April 2011

OMG! Week 6/Tagging, Delicious and LibraryThing

Perhaps it's me, but I'm finding it more and more difficult as the weeks go on!  This is the most frustrating week so far for me.  Firstly LibraryThing - this part was OK and I followed the instructions and managed to load it into my Blog.  My mind suddenly went blank when I tried to add some of the books I have read recently - typical,...but I dredged the bottom of my mind and came up with a few.  I like this tool and can see the benefits of using it.  I thought of all our senior patrons that come into the library regularly and seem to pick the same books over and over!  With LibraryThing we could collate this information for them...no more initialling the books! 
Delicious/tagging - This part I found extremely frustrating - especially 'Explore 1' where you had to set up your own Delicious account and put a link to it in your blog.  I spent 2.5hrs trying to achieve this and visited over 20 websites trying to get help on how to do it and watched 5 different Youtube tutorials!!  I looked at some of Group 1's blogs and couldn't see the link. My stubborness kicked in - this was NOT going to beat me...and eventually I managed to do it!!!!  Now I just need to establish how to use it via my blog!!  On a positive note, I can see it's potential.  When we eventually open these social network sites to our patrons, I think Delicious would be an idea tool for anyone studying/projects/assignments/etc as they can setup tags/bookmarks to their favourite websites and have the information sent to them.  

3 comments:

  1. Well done on getting so much done. I'm just about to start Week 6 of the course and not looking forward to it. You're so much better than me on the computer and if you found it difficult, God help me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally finished week 6, although I couldn't work out how to add a delicious account link to my blog. Will have to try and go back to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tags can be useful in finding relevant information in a quick way and that's why I'm going to try to use Delicious more.

    ReplyDelete